Wood Designer forum
Ive attached my next projects project file. The drawer box heights still need some tweaking. If you can either show me how to do the following via pictures or a video or add the hardware holes to the cabs I’d much appreciate it.
I did try and follow the runner video awhile back but only got so far with it as I think it was missing some detail cant quite remember now.
Not sure how much of this info you need.
Drawer runner slack is 12.7 but i always set it @13mm as I paint the insides with 4 coats of paint either side. Drawer slide height is 45.5, drawer box bearer height is 23
Drawer box bearer holes. 2mm wide by 5mm deep (not that important) set back from the front of the drawer side @
1) 57.5 2)240 3) 461 these are all I need and are just for the elongated adjustable holes.
Drawer carcase bearer holes are 51 and 416 set back from front of carcase again just for adjustable holes.
I would normally position the drawer box bearer central to the drawer box side.
Ness Ive attached the project files for this project. The one mistake that I made was I applied 5mm slack to all the drawers including the top drawer. I had applied a slack of 2mm to the bottom of the wardrobe doors. This gave me 7mm gap between the top drawer front and the bottom of the doors. Fortunately I had only used 2 of the adjustable screw holes on the vertical elongated holes before committing the other screws so there was just enough adjustment on these holes to raise all the drawer boxes up 2mm to match all of the other 5mm reveals. Im happy for this project to be used as a template but this mistake will need to be corrected and its probably quicker if you do it. The only other gripe I had (which I didnt bother correcting as it wasn’t a major deal) is the top drawer box is a bit less in height than the other two but I couldn’t figure how to correct that, but I’d like to know how to do it if you get chance to take a look at it. Apart from that everthing went together perfectly and the result was really good.
Heres my process on cutting list to excel. I use this to get a import into our cutlist optimiser.
Setup the options (Once only)
Go To. Cutting lists, cutting list options, ASCII options, format and add the following as per the attached vid or what you need.
Running the export. (everytime)
Go To. Cutting lists, ASCII export. and save as a text file. Remember to do this from the project screen to get all the associated models included.
Open a file, select the .txt file saved from polyboard and this will open an import dialogue.
Make sure you select ‘delimited’ and on the next screen ‘semicolon’ as the delimiter.
Click finish and you’re done….
Polyboard section video
Excel section video.
See if it makes sense….
No Probs. I will upload the this project file tomorrow when I am out in the workshop. I did make one mistake on the slack of the drawers (well the top drawer) in relation to the top drobe, and keeping perfect 5mm reveals all round but managed to overcome it. I will give more detail tomorrow but I think its easily fixed and yes this could be used as a template for others and no doubt I will use it again.
Yes would be keen for some help on the runners for the next project. I got by on this one, but with 9 drawers to build and fit I’d like to get the runner positions worked out in advance so thanks for the offer….if you can help. I’m working on the final plans tomorrow so will upload that project file too.
Also Ness If there are any easy workarounds regarding converting cutting lists to excel format that you or others use (to send to suppliers) I’d be grateful for the heads up.
October 4, 2012
Great job Terry.
Send me the specs of your next project. I will see if we could set up the drawers with you.
Could we use this cupboard in our template library?
I’m sure that some people would love to base a design of their own children’s cupboards around this.
All the best,
Hi everyone. Have been working on a wardrobe for my sons room and thought I’d share. It is simply MDF painted in 4 coats of acrylic. It is made up in a modular fashion with a kickframe a base drawer unit and a top drobe unit. After this I installed 2 side deco panels and a top panel to cover the screw holes and for a nice framed effect. The deco panels were brought flush to the doors and were oversized in Polyboard to allow scribing to the walls which were not plumb.
I managed to use ‘most’ of the power of polyboard in designing this but didn’t get round to working out the drawer runner positions and linking them to the inside of the carcase. I wish that I had done as fitting the drawers proved as usual for me a bit of a headache…..got there in the end but it took way longer than it should have done. On the next drawer job (9 drawer boxes next week) Im determined to get the runner holes inputted as it will save alot of time. I also didnt bother with the hinge holes as they are pretty simple to work out.
My son is over the moon……as the past 3 years he has only had an old ikea drawer unit to stash his clothes in so it was all worhwhile.
Thanks for looking