Including Polyboard dimensions, partial views, sections and exploded views
Here’s a non exaustive list of new features in Polyboard 5.01a1 (released June 2013)
This document presents the main new functions of Polyboard 5 compared to Polyboard 4.
We do not list the functions that are still under development.
One of the big changes in the demo version 5.01a1 is that 3D views in Project mode are no longer limited in display time.
You can now work exactly like in the full version, including dimensioning!!!
The only the limit on the free Polyboard being that you can’t output the manufacturing files.
Contact us if you also need the manufacturing files.
- With Polyboard it’s now possible to automatically add dimensions to your projects.
- Dimensions are added to each cabinet and can be turned on or off.
- You can now measure horizontal, vertical and aligned distances in your projects.
- This is very helpful for knowing what size to give a cabinet to fit a specific space.
- To display dimensioned drawings for installation purposes. Measurements can be turned into dimensions and displayed and printed out with the project.
More on using the measurement tool and setting up kitchen projects in the video is detailed below and this article on How to design a kitchen with Polyboard.
File > Print setup > cabinet multi-view > Cabinet Muti-view
- A new option in the Print menu allows you to print several views of the cabinet on the same page.
View > View Angle
- The view angle can now be changed dynamically by clicking and dragging the mouse in the view window.
- The lateral slide bars are automatically adjusted to the current view.
File > Print > Partial View (project mode only)
- In the Project Mode, it’s now possible to define cutting planes that cut a cabinet or project and display a section.
File > Labels Setup
- It’s now possible to print labels showing a small drawing of the part.
Select several cabinets with a window in project mode
- You can now select several cabinets by drawing a window around them.
- Press Shift at the same time and the window will select all the cabinets that touch the window.
Adjust simultaneously the slope of several Free Division
- By selecting several Free Divisions using the Ctrl key, all the slopes can be changed at the same time using the Properties list.
Cutting lists for Styles and Rails
- Bar materials used as frames around panels are now listed in the cutting lists and can be exported in an ASCII file.
Interior boxes or inner casing
- A new assembly detail called inner casing creates automatically new volumes inside existing ones.
- These new volumes can be set up with shelves and uprights etc. just like any other volume.
See this article for a demo on inner casements: Furniture Design around columns using Polyboard
Upper strip and Plinths
- It’s now possible to create new virtual zones under and above a cabinet without having to extend parts beyond the limits of the cabinet.
- Very handy for setting cabinets at predefined heights.
See this article for more information on Setting up Plinths and Upper Strips
- It’s now possible to hang doors directly onto pre-drilled holes.
- Also possible to drill the ends of over passing panels
Hardware for mitre joints
- A new notion of priority of boards in mitre joints
- Now possible to define hardware to join the mitres.
Hardware for split boards
- Now possible to insert hardware to join 2 flush panels made via surface split command.
New Post Processor Options
- New parameter to over shoot grooves (in length and width).
- Synchronised Post Processor export for OptiCut
- For each part machined it’s now possible to generate a name and number.
- Number can be Bar Coded.
Hardware Import / export
- It’s now possible to import and export hardware using XML files.
- Hardware can be individually selected for import/export.
- This new feature works like a spread sheet. It allows you to write a list of cabinets, and for each one set it’s size, quantity and manufacturing method.
- Polyboard will automatically calculate the cutting lists, the manufacturing files and the prices.
- All the calculation are in real time and requires no design or display of the cabinets.
PolyBoard V – Version 5.01a1 : June 24, 2013
This document presents the main features added since version 5.01.
It does not include minor corrections or features under development.
Note that we have eliminated the time limit on 3D Project Display for this version in demo mode.
Exploded view (model mode only)
- A new icon has been added to the standard toolbar: It displays an exploded view of the cabinet and shows machining details.
Nil panel including an inner tooling
- A part including an inner tooling may be defined as “Nil panel” without deleting the material of its inner tooling.
- In this case, the main part will not be displayed in 3D, and will not be included in the cutting list.
Multiple copies of a cabinet
- A quantity of identical cabinets may be defined in the “Cutting List Options” menu.
- This quantity will be used upon printing, exporting the cutting list, and the Post-Processor files.
- The internal draw parts can be created automatically when adding a built-in drawer can be setup in the Drawer sub method.
Individual over-sizing parameters in Height and Width are available for each part
Creates cutting lists for pieces that need extra material for final calibrating via CNC.
Double-doors and multiple drawers edges
- The edges between double-doors and superposed drawers are automatically updated when applying a new method or a new sub-method.
- Arcs definitions are maintained in the Post-Processors.
- When this is not possible, the arc is converted into a polygon.
- A new option defines a maximum Height and/or a maximum Width, so if either dimension of the part is too large, it will be automatically rotated by 90°.
- Another new option will force a 180° rotation of the part.
Additional options for WoodWop MPR
The following parameters are available for the WoodWop MPR Post-Processor:
- Tool approach and withdrawal codes (Tangential, Lateral, and Vertical) for both grooving and sawing.
- Groove length over-sizing in sawing mode.
- “On the fly” code, when the grooving starting point is inside the part.
- Grooving tool number.
Video Presentation on using Polyboard 5 Dimensions and Partial Views
Video Presentation on Exploded Views and Catalogue Mode
These are just the main new features up to date.
There are quite a few minor features and details that have also been added or modified to make Polyboard better, easier to use and more powerful.
All these new features have been implemented thanks to your and other user feed back and suggestions.
The version is not yet completely finished and we are working on some other details, so look out for another update in the near future.
So you can see there really is a lot going on in Polyboard and we are doing our best to keep the program up to users expectations.
Click here for more details on the latest version of Polyboard.